Recipe adapted from several that I found online.
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp salt
- Measure out A in a bowl, cream together until combined.
- Measure and sift together B.
- Add B to A and mix until combined. Shape into a ball (don't overmix or the butter will melt and go all gross and greasy) and place in a generous square of clingfilm. Loosely fold over with clingfilm and then flatten the ball into a disk.
- Freeze for 30 minutes (freezing it helps solidify the butter so that the cookie will keep its shape when baked).
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Take dough out of freezer; unwrap. Roll out so that it's about 1/2 inch thick or so. Cut out with cookie cutters or cut using knife into desired shape.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet.
- If your dough got soft and warm, it's better to chill the raw cookies in the fridge again if possible for a bit so that the cookies retain their shape when baked. Unfortunately my fridge wasn't bit enough so some of the later cookies lost their shape a bit. (My oven is also only 1/4 size of a conventional home oven so I had to do two batches.)
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until edges of cookies start to go golden brown.
- Take out and let cool on baking sheet. Remove and store in airtight container.