I made a giant bowl of tuna rice salad for a BBQ this weekend and had a lot left over...what to do? Instead of eating the same thing several meals in a row, I was inspired by risotto cakes and fish cakes to make: Tuna cakes!
|Tuna rice cakes - a simple Monday night dinner|
- leftover tuna rice salad, risotto or fried rice
- 1 egg (or 2 if you have a lot of leftovers) to bind
- Parmesan or other shredded cheese
- salt, pepper to taste
- olive oil or neutral oil for pan-frying
- Beat the egg(s) in a bowl.
- Add to the leftover tuna rice salad and mix well.
- Stir in the shredded cheese
- Add in a bit of salt and pepper (put less if your original tuna rice salad was already well-seasoned/salty).
- Using a large spoon, shape into patties.
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons oil into your frying pan.
- Scoop the patties onto the oiled frying pan and flatten slightly with your spatula.
- When the bottom is crispy and golden brown, gently flip the cakes and brown the other side.
- Remove from pan and serve immediately.
These rice cakes go well with a simple green salad.